Here's something that was done 2 years ago -- keep in mind that it is still a work in progress though. What I would like to show here is an issue that is rarely addressed in people's 7.62x25 AK conversions -- excessive recoil in blowback designs. This is not the last chapter in this build by any means, however I would like to put it out there for new builders attempting their own project, as I believe it to be pertinent information. Think of this as a progress report.
As you can see in the picture, the bolt was held in the forward position and a pin was drilled for and installed in the rear part of the bolt/bolt carrier. The pin was non-hardened 1/8" dowel from Enco. (The drill bit in the picture is not the one that was used for drilling). I wanted to still be able to take apart the bolt for cleaning and for that reason opted for the pin rather than welding it in place. The forward position was chosen in order to avoid laborious modification of both the carrier and the bolt. Furthermore, I was not thrilled to have the unsupported end of the bolt driving the hammer cocking process. Don't get me wrong - you can have the bolt in the rear position as well - you just have to be aware of the consequences of that design. But this is the way I did it.
The barrel, which was responsible for about half of the problems with this build, was turned from a .311 blank (yes, I have read all about the 308 vs 311 controversy and you can obviously tell where my opinion is). The turning process was begun without doing the homework on lathe operation and consequently (what can I say -- I really really wanted to get started) produced a barrel with a ridiculous amount of runout with respect to the bore. I trued it the best I could after we got our own lathe, but the damage was already done. Anyhow, here is what the barrel started it's life as (as you can surely tell, I'm using a barrel-less AMD kit acquired during The Great Scare for this build. The bolt and carrier were purchased separately). It was initially a little bit longer than 16 inches (the finished product, however, was always going to be a pistol and never had a stock fitted or installed) but was later cut down to about 11 inches.
The receiver, which constitues the source for the other half of this build's problems (more on this later) was made from a bent blank, which was modified by opening up the magwell (more on this later) and tweaking the rails. The ejector rail was moved a little bit forward, so as to place the ejector over the mag. For that purpose, I welded a sort-of extension on it, in order to facilitate spot welding it in place.
(Oh, the welder used in this build is the Harbor Freight 165A Tig. It's a pretty good machine (so far) - the lack of a foot pedal is detrimental but is not a deal breaker - you can still work without it. It is magnitudes of order above their 90A so-called MIG).
Saturday, January 29, 2011
Sunday, January 23, 2011
1. Extractor relief cut
2. Sights installation
3. Stock fitting
Here's the obligaotry "before" pic:
I made two barrel timing marks, one for a hand-tight fit and one for the final fit.
This is what the rifle looked like after chopping the stock. Kind of ugly and bubba-esque.
The fitting process.
And here is a picture of the assembled rifle!